Simulation Forums

Find Simulation answers, share expertise, and connect with your peers

Simulation Moldflow Insight

Amount of data points in XY-Plots

90 Views, 5 Replies
01/31/2018 2:28 PM

Hey everybody,

i'm working on an injection molding simulation and right now i'm trying to export the data from the finished simulation. I would like to get the Temperature and Pressure data from a couple of nodes in the model. When I try the XY-Plot for Temperature there are only 6 data points over the whole simulation time. On the other hand if i plot the XY pressure on the injection point. I attached the two plots to this thread. I already changed the solver parameters to produce more data points, but this only affects the pressure on injection point plot. Not the temperature plot.

Can somebody give me advise on how to create more data points on the temperature and pressure plots?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely

Jake

Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5 ( Views: 90 )

Re: Amount of data points in XY-Plots

01/31/2018 3:16 PM

Hi Jake,

assume this is a 3D simulation.

This is related to number of intermediate result intervals.

By default 5 in filling and packing and 3 (or 5) in cooling.

You need to increase this, to get more result data points over time

To do this go to Process Parameters>Advanced Options>Edit Solver Parameters>Fill+Pack Analysis Tab>Edit Intervals for Intermediate Results.

Note: more intervals = longer analysis time, and more disk space for result needed.

After changing intervals, simulation needs to rerun to write out the intermediate result.

Some useful links:

How to increase the frame rate for 3D results animation

Why does Probe XY Plot for 3D having more data points than tetra layers

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)

Message 2 of 5 ( Views: 84 )

01/31/2018 3:23 PM

Hey Berndt,

thanks so much for your effort in helping me! I increased the amount of intermediate results already already. (20 in filling and packing and 10 in cooling). But that didn't change the amount of data points in the temperature plot. Only the pressure on injection spot plot got more data points. That's what I wanted to show with the two pictures attached to my first post. It seems the program saved more data points than shown in the temperature plot. Or the temperature is only calculated in some of the intermediate results. So is there maybe a seperate setting to include solving the temperature on every intermediate result?

Best regards,

Jake

Message 3 of 5 ( Views: 80 )

01/31/2018 4:35 PM

Hi Jake,

I did a test using intermediate intervals for Filling Packing Cooling as 5-5-3 vs 10-10-10.

It shows a differencet in sampling points for Temperature XY.

3D imr temperature XY 180131.JPG

Check your analysis log that entered settings are there:

Intermediate results:

--------------------

Intermediate results type = Write at constant intervals

Number of intermediate results in filling phase = 10

Number of intermediate results in packing phase = 10

Number of intermediate results in cooling phase = 10

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)

Message 4 of 5 ( Views: 75 )

01/31/2018 5:59 PM

Hi @jakob.jung

please change the plot settings as in the attached image; you can set max of 10

Capture.JPG

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"

Message 5 of 5 ( Views: 69 )