Simulation Forums

Find Simulation answers, share expertise, and connect with your peers

Simulation Moldflow Insight

Edit Filler Content in Existing Material

158 Views, 7 Replies
01/30/2018 1:31 PM

Dear All,

Mechanical properties of composite material (Matrix + 50% Glass Fiber) has been measured (may be in x-orientation) by moldflow lab and same reflected in the database. Can moldflow calculate mechanical properties of composites, If I change the glass fiber content from 50% to 10%? Micro-Mechanical model can help in this regard? I know the viscosity of the same material will not be affected.

Regards,
Ethaya

Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7 ( Views: 158 )

Re: Edit Filler Content in Existing Material

01/30/2018 8:04 PM

Hello Ethaya,

Moldflow gets the mechanical properties out of measurements.

It doesn't recalculate (to my knowledge) anything if you change a parameter like glassfiber content.

Therefor you would need something like Digimat.
That is a software that can help you to reverse engineer mechanical properties of plastics, as well as
all other materials that came to your mind.

If you change the fiber content of a given matrix material (lets take some nylon here) from 50 % to

10 % of fiber - the viscosity will change a lot.
At least this is an assumption - I don't own a PhD. or something ;)

A simple MFI analysis might show you the effect.

So long story short:

The measurement in the labs was surely done in 2 directions with specimen ("dogbones") and Moldflow

itself does not recalculate - not even based on a micromechanical model - different fiber contents.

I hope I understood the question right -> Hope it helps then

Harald

Message 2 of 7 ( Views: 141 )

01/31/2018 5:01 AM

Hello Harald,

Thanks for your answer and effort made for me.

Regards,
Ethaya

Message 3 of 7 ( Views: 129 )

01/31/2018 5:11 AM

Hi @Ethayakkannan.Shanmugavel

i agree with @harald.goetz... changing the fiber content will significantly affect the viscosity of material; pressure to fill vary for 10% GF vs 50% GF

suggestion would be get test done and data fit to create a UDB with the help of Moldflow labs

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Message 4 of 7 ( Views: 128 )

01/31/2018 8:28 AM

Hello Ethaya,
there is a way for solver to recalculate mechanical properties, using matrix properties .

As you wrote: viscosity will not be affected if changing fiber content of a measured material.

And agree with @harald.goetz and @mppkumar that changing fiber content will affect viscosity.

If you want do it:
First, if the material data has CRIMS, it needs to be turned off.
See: Modifying Fiber Parameters with CRIMS Material in Simulation Moldflow Insight
"This third option, Always (even if solver parameters are not consistent with CRIMS model), will ensure the use of your fiber parameters even if they do not match the expected fiber parameters for the CRIMS model. "
In above article you find how to.

Next step  is to change to use matrix properties
Process Settings > Advanced options...
Once you are in the Advanced Options, you can modify the material data by choosing the option to Edit Molding Material.
Go to tab Mechanical Properties

The default setting is Do not use matrix properties.

Select Use 7 matrix properties

Ensure matrix properties are relevant for your material data.

When you use matrix properties with materials that have anisotropic matrix data, the Mori-Tanaka micro-mechanics model will be used by default.

If you select Do not use matrix properties, or if you select Use 7 matrix properties with materials that have isotropic matrix data, the Tandon-Weng icro-mechanics model will be used by default.

Do a first run with default amount glass fiber.
Then a second with changed amount glass fiber filler.
(To change :Process Settings > Advanced options...
Once you are in the Advanced Options, you can modify the material data by choosing the option to Edit Molding Material.
Go to tab Filler Properties. Change % value.)

Adding a picture, where glass fiber content where changed from 35GF to 5GF, using matrix properties. It shows a change.

mech prop use matrix change GF 180131.JPG

So possible, but use it with care as not sure how this suits the needs.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)

Message 5 of 7 ( Views: 116 )

01/31/2018 6:17 PM
Thanks a lot Berndt! I mean, changing fiber content (edit in advanced option) from 50% to 10% will not affect viscosity. Kudos to you!

Message 6 of 7 ( Views: 97 )

01/31/2018 6:33 PM

You are welcome, Ethaya.

Happy to help. Smiley Happy

Right, for a Moldflow material data set when changing glass fiber filler content, it will not affect the viscosity data set of the material data.

Changing glass fiber filler content in material for productions affects viscosity, as pointed out.

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)

Message 7 of 7 ( Views: 92 )