Simulation Forums

Find Simulation answers, share expertise, and connect with your peers

Simulation CFD

Student Help - Transient airflow through an array of flow channels.

43 Views, 5 Replies
02/10/2018 4:17 AM

Hi everyone!

I am a student new to CFD and have a surface with an array of 10 perpendicular tubes with flow channels consuming air at the same initial flow rate. I would like to study what happens to the array over time in ambient air. Do the center flow channels become choked over time etc. 

Would someone be able to give me a brief dot point explanation of the steps involved in setting up and running a simulation like this with results over a period of time. 

Thanks

Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5 ( Views: 43 )

Re: Student Help - Transient airflow through an array of flow channels.

02/10/2018 12:35 PM

Might you share a picture?

I have a question, why would the flow become choked over time? Surely just a steady state analysis would be sufficient as it would show you the flow after what is essentially an infinite transient?

To study something in ambient air, this page should give you a good starting point.

Does that help?

Jon

Message 2 of 5 ( Views: 32 )

02/11/2018 5:51 AM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. The given flow rate is actually the consumption rate of air on the device. My thoughts were that the air may be consumed at the perimeter points before it can reach the center of the device and therefore choking of the center points would occur. I will post an image shortly. Thanks

Message 3 of 5 ( Views: 27 )

02/11/2018 6:28 AM

Tube Array.jpegTube Array

Here is the design I am observing. Air is consumed through the flow channels seen on the tubes. The tubes are in an array and I would like to see if the air consumption at the center tubes is hindered by the number of tubes in the array and the distance between them. It will operate in ambient air. 

Message 4 of 5 ( Views: 26 )

02/11/2018 7:52 PM

Use the method above but in 2D, should give you the answer in about 5 minutes ;)

This would simply be a surface with an array of cylindrical surfaces within it.

Message 5 of 5 ( Views: 21 )