Simulation Forums

Find Simulation answers, share expertise, and connect with your peers

Simulation CFD

(Video) Simulation results, feedback?

75 Views, 4 Replies
12/21/2017 2:08 PM

Hi, I am playing with Autodesk CFD 2018 for a week now, and finally have something that looks reasonable. This sim was just run to see if and how the flow can be modeled in general.

If you a an advanced user: what are the parts that you don't like at all, or what general information do you miss? 

In the future, I want to use these kind of simulations to understand the general flow around a racing copter better. I want to find a shape with a low cd, and check the effect of different arm thicknesses and shapes. Do you think that this setup will allow to find realistic design ideas? I am not so much interested in absolute numbers, but more in relative differences between designs.

And yes, when the setup is ok, I will use a mesh with more resolution...

Thanks for your feedback!

Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4 ( Views: 75 )

Re: (Video) Simulation results, feedback?

12/21/2017 2:31 PM

lol, this after a WEEK?! Very cool indeed, kudos to you! :)

Nice use of visuals to show how you set things up and what is going on.

From one CFD geek to a potential new one, I send you a *Christmas High Five*.

Message 2 of 4 ( Views: 65 )

Re: (Video) Simulation results, feedback?

12/21/2017 2:43 PM

Hi @Willa1980

Awesome work for your first week using Autodesk CFD! Do you have previous experience with other CFD tools?

Outside of meshing, I would suggest to use the Hellsten Turbulence model.  For looking at design changes and not getting too caught up with absolute numbers just use 5 layers of mesh enhancement and decide on a mesh strategy.  When setting up a consistent mesh strategy you might want to explore the advanced parameters for the mesher,  You can use theses parameters as dials to decide on an automatic mesh that works much more to your liking with just one click or at least with less adjustments after the initial mesh assignment.  From there you would have a better mesh to seed your mesh adaptation.

Give that a try and let us know what you think!

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4 ( Views: 60 )

Betreff: (Video) Simulation results, feedback?

12/21/2017 8:01 PM
Hi Royce and Jon,
thanks for your positive feedback! I have no background in CFD, but quite some experience with experimental fluid dynamics. Currently, I am tuning and tweaking, so the CFD result looks like the flow I would expect in reality... I don't know if that is a good approach, but it makes progress quicker and learning more interesting.
I will have a look at the mesh settings in more detail, and I will also check the more advanced turbulence models, thanks!

Message 4 of 4 ( Views: 48 )